Did you know that inflammatory bowel disease (IBD):
- Is an umbrella term for a group of medical conditions, the most common being Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis?
- Involves chronic, relapsing inflammation in the gastrointestinal tract?
- Can affect other parts of the body like the skin, liver, and bones?
- Can be managed with a combination of medication, diet, and/or surgery?
- Has no known cure?
If you didn’t, don’t worry – this is where GutSmart comes in.
It can be very difficult for people with IBD to find healthcare professionals who are familiar with their condition, and who know the current evidence-based treatments available.
We know that holistic care can make such a difference for people living with IBD. However, we also know that:
- Fewer than 1 in 3 patients have a dietitian as part of their treatment team
- Only 1 in 10 have a psychologist
GutSmart is our solution to this problem.
By completing a GutSmart course, you will increase your knowledge and awareness of IBD and how to best support patients. This boosts the number of health professionals in the field who are ready to work in IBD, and makes it easier for people with IBD to access the care that they need.
IBD National Action Plan
This plan was created with the following vision:
“All Australians living with inflammatory bowel disease have access to high quality, integrated care to best manage their own health and improve quality of life.”
GutSmart contributes towards this plan by helping to develop a skilled and accessible multidisciplinary workforce.
In a country like Australia, patients and practitioners are spread out across a large geographical area. By supporting healthcare professionals to improve their awareness and knowledge of IBD, our project will lead to more professionals who can work with IBD patients, and more widespread access to care for people with the condition.