Inflammatory bowel disease is a chronic condition that touches every aspect of a person’s life, from their relationships to their work and education. What’s more, there is a biological connection between a person’s brain and their gut, so mental health and gut health are often closely intertwined.
Psychological health in IBD has never been more important; however, our research shows that only 1 in 10 patients have a psychologist as part of their treatment team. By signing up for this GutSmart course, you can help to meet a growing need for sensitive, informed psychological care.
Psychological Health in IBD is designed to provide you with IBD-specific knowledge that you can apply in your practice as a psychologist.
It can be counted towards 12 CPD hours and includes:
- Case studies
- Examples of practice
- A certificate of completion
The course is accessible immediately upon enrolment and remains so for one year – price inclusive of GST.
The objectives of this course are to:
- Understand the biological processes behind the development and presentation of IBD
- Appreciate the role of the gut-brain axis in physical and psychological wellbeing in IBD
- Explore the diagnosis and treatment of IBD, including medical, surgical, and nutritional strategies
- Discover the psychosocial impacts of IBD at different points in the patient journey
- Apply the above insights to the psychological management of IBD patients
- Identify and reflect on the different psychotherapies used for managing pain, building disease self-management skills, and everything in between
The GutSmart Team would like to acknowledge the following individuals for their generous contributions to this course:
- Associate Professor Antonina Mikocka-Walus
- Associate Professor Simon Knowles
- Dr Lori Shore
- Taryn Lores, Health Psychologist
Module 1 – Introduction to Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Module 1: Introduction
The digestive system04:57
The digestive system (continued)
Knowledge check 1.1
Knowledge check 1.2
Module 1: Final quiz (answers)
Module 1: Final quiz